If you’re a Westerner looking to take a trip to Morocco, you may want to do some research to see what you should wear during your travels. Many have found there is insufficient information located online about what you should be wearing so we have compiled a blog that provides you with some information leaving you prepared for your next Moroccan trip.
Gaining an understanding of what to wear will greatly impact your experience in Morocco. It will affect how the Moroccans view and treat you, and that will definitely make or break your trip. Moroccan is a primarily conservative nation with 99% of the nation identifying themselves as Muslims. The first thing you should consider is how to respect the Muslim’s principles on modesty. Moroccan clothing and accessories aren’t meant to attract attention or reveal the body at any level.
Here are some tips on what to wear in Morocco
- If you’re a woman, you need to ensure that you’re not exposing the décolletage, shoulders, or thighs.
- You can apply those same basic principles if you’re a man as well.
- Do not wear brand names explicitly on your clothing.
- Limit the use of expensive, flashy jewelry, designer handbags, and/or high-end electronics and technological devices.
- If you’re a woman, wear long skirts and dresses, or pants, that cover the knees. You can also wear draping tunics like a Moroccan kaftan.
- Women also typically wear sandals or loafers, no heels.
- If you’re a man, you should wear long pants and a collared shirt.
- For shoes, men can wear sandals, loafers, or sneakers.
- If you’re traveling in the summer, ensure that the fabric you wear is light enough to keep you cool because you will still need to be modestly dressed.
- Women aren’t required to wear a hijab, which is a veil that covers the woman’s hair, unless you’re a practicing Muslim.
Learn More About Traditional Moroccan Clothing
If you’re looking for some traditional Moroccan clothing, look no further than Moroccan Furniture . Our online store carries a variety of Moroccan clothing items, and we provide free shipping to the continental United States. If you have any questions about sizing or the products we have available, Visit Moroccan Furniture or contact us via form.